What You’ll Learn
Prepare for success. Our 60-hour program goes well beyond the basics. We provide a comprehensive overview of the many related issues that will impact your career:
- Landmark cases that led to the development of the medical and healthcare interpreting profession.
- Facts about the limited English proficiency (LEP) population.
- Barriers and challenges LEP patients face when seeking and receiving healthcare services in the U.S.
- Key U.S. legislation regarding language access services.
- How the U.S. healthcare system is different from the way healthcare is provided in other countries.
- Understanding your role as a medical or healthcare interpreter.
- The modes of interpreting and how to use them.
- Managing the interpreting session: before, during, and after.
- Exercises to improve your memory skills.
- Where to position yourself in the room for the greatest benefit of the patient and doctor.
- How to handle uncomfortable situations in a professional manner.
- Professional standards of practice.
- How to prepare for national interpreter certification testing.
- Medical terminology and additional resources.
- Practical tips and techniques from practicing interpreters.
You’ll receive a certificate of completion. Online students have access to the 282-page e-book in addition to receiving the printable core terminology e-book. On-site students receive the 282-page soft-cover textbook and core terminology book.